Creating homes and places where people want to live

Post office accounts

Do you claim any benefits? You have until until 5 April 2022 to update HMRC with new bank account details, or you risk having your Tax Credits, Child Benefit or Guardian’s Allowance payments suspended.

Instead of using the Post Office, you can have your benefits and credits paid into a bank, building society or credit union account. If you already have an alternative account, you can contact HMRC now to update their details. This is how:

Here's how to open a basic bank account.

If you can't open a bank account, please contact HMRC.