Creating homes and places where people want to live

Responsible Tenant Reward

Nottingham City Homes tenants who are good neighbours, pay their rent, look after their homes and gardens, keep to their appointments and are registered to vote will qualify for a £100 reward credited to their rent accounts in time for Christmas.

The 2021 reward

The more responsible tenants we have, the more money we can invest in improving homes and neighbourhoods.

Letters to let you know if you have qualified for this year's Responsible Tenant Reward will be landing on doormats at the end of November / early December.

There's no need to contact us before you have received your letter. And when you do, this will have on it all the information you need - whether you have been successful or not - including how to have your reward refunded if you choose to do so.

Keep it on your account

When you receive your reward, it’s more important than ever to keep it on your rent account – particularly if you’re catching up with any rent arrears or if your income has been affected by the pandemic or the removal of the £20 a week Universal Credit uplift.  

Your right to appeal if you haven't qualified

The appeal period for the 2020 Responsible Tenant Reward is now closed and no more appeals will be accepted.

The appeal period for the 2021 reward will open when letters have landed on doormats at the end of November / early December.


Help if you haven't qualified this year

If you haven't qualified for the Responsible Tenant Reward this year, we'd like to help you to get it next year.

If you can't make a pre-arranged appointment, tell us straight away so that it can be rearranged. 

If you're worried about paying your rent or getting rent arrears, talk to us, and we'll try to help.

If you're having problems managing your home or garden, contact your Housing Office for help. If you can't manage your garden because you're elderly or disabled, you may qualify for the Garden Assistance Scheme.

If you're not on the electoral register you can register here.

What makes a responsible tenant?

You're a responsible tenant if you:

  • Behave respectfully and responsibly in and around your home and your neighbourhood.
  • Pay your rent on time and in full according to your tenancy agreement, (and pay any arrears through an agreed repayment plan).
  • Keep to any notified appointments. This includes appointments for repairs and maintenance, servicing heating equipment, retrofit and renovation work, Housing Patch Manager or Rent Officer visits. If the appointment is not convenient, we'll happily re-arrange if you as us to.
  • Keep your garden, if you have one, tidy or are taking agreed steps to improve it.
  • Haven't caused any damage to your home, or are paying for any damage that's been caused.
  • Have joined the electoral register.

You're not acting responsibly if:

  • We've taken legal action against a member of your household for anti-social behaviour or a crime that's a breach of your tenancy.
  • You've been abusive to a member of our staff.
  • You're not paid your rent on time, or you're not sticking to your repayment agreement.
  • We have been refused access to your property to carry out gas safety checks.
  • You do not keep any notified appointments - failed appointments cost us a lot of money.
  • We've had to warn you about the condition of your garden and you're not doing anything about it.
  • You or your family have damaged your home and you haven't paid for it to be repaired.
  • You haven't joined the electoral register.